torsdag 6. mai 2010

Hybridization among the seaturtles

Today I found a nice photo of a turtle hatchling on  Seaturtle.org . It shows us what they think can be a hybrid between the green turtle and the loggerhead turtle. And my first thought was, how will I be able to find out this if it should happen this summer when I'm at Crete working with the loggerhead turtle.

So then I had to search a little and found the abstract of an  interesting article; Oxfordjournals . In this article they deal with this matter. They say quite quickly that "authenticate  based solely on morphological evidence. Phew was my first thought. Then I don't have to worry about it anymore. Still I was curious; how was it really with hybridization among the seaturtles, does it excist and how much is it. So I had to read the abstract more thoroughly to see what really was the fact about it.

Well I found out that they had found 8 cases of it, and of those 7 involved the caretta that I'm gonna work with. They also said that these hybridization occurs among one of the oldest lineages of Vertebrates capable of producing viable offspring. Very interesting indeed. Anyone who know anymore about where I can find more about this?

Among the questions I have is;
How many samples had they taken to find this 8 cases?
How do they do there samples?
Are they taking samples from all the nests in an area or are they taking just a small smaple from every area?

It is really interesting that an so old lineage are capable of producing viable offspring. Normally the species within a lineage will develop more and more away from eachother, at least that's what I would suspect.

Now I have to go back to work, but later I must try to find more about this.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar