fredag 14. mai 2010

The International Year of Biodiversity

Every year the United nations dedicates the year to one special topic. In 2009 it was UN's international year for the astronomy, and it had many arrangements around Norway. In 2011 it will be UN's international year of chemistry. This year The UN has chosen to focus on biodiversity.


And it's absolutely a topic that's should be focused on. But first, what does reall biodiversity mean? When I think of the word the first in my mind is all the animals and the plants that I'm able to see. In fact I manage to see all the animals and plants that I don't like so much as well. So cockroaches and mosquitos are among what I call biodiversity. But I'm not an expert on the topic. So when I read about I discover that in the meaning of the word I also need to incude all the kinds of microbes and bacteria as well.

Thinking about it, it seems to be obvious. They also are important here on the earth, and it surely is something that belongs to the biological part of the earth. But it's more also. What, you might say! Even more? Yeah, true. In the term we also need to include the genetic variety, the places they live and their sorroundings. Well smart, we can protect all our living creatures if we don't protect their enviroment. If we protected all the mountain living animals or plants in the world, but tore every mountain down, there would be no use in the protection. The animals and the plants would still vanish from our globe, become extinct, first from the world, then slowly slowly also from the human mind.

From now on I will also in this blog focus quite a bit on the topic of biodiversity cause it's also very important for the work we will do for the Archelon. Before I leave today, here is the opening speech of the year of biodiversity from UN's generalsecretary Ban Ki-Moon


UN Secretary General Welcome Message for the 2010 International Year of Biodiversity from CBD on Vimeo.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar